“I really encourage people to think about what they want to be seen as an expert in and choose a topic that they can speak about for the next five years, consistently,” says Nikki Nash, best selling author and host of Market Your Genius podcast. In today’s episode of The Business of You, Nikki shares her tips for creating engaging content that will help your business and personal brand grow.
Nikki explains that her biggest mistake when she first began creating content was not including a call to action. She was not providing a clear way for people to engage with her content, and as a result was unsure of whether her videos were resonating with anyone. As soon as she added a prompt, viewers began to comment on her videos. Nikki shares that her biggest tips for creating successful content are to just get started, to pick a topic that interests you, and to be consistent with your posting schedule.
Tune into this week’s episode of The Business of You for a conversation with host Michelle Griffin and special guest Nikki Nash on deciding what type of content to create, how to make that content stand out to your audience, and how to grow your brand and business through content creation.
• “At our core, all we’re really trying to do as human beings is build relationships…whether you’re working for yourself or you’re working at a company, the other key piece outside of building relationships is your brand, how people perceive you and what your reputation is. One of the amazing things that can happen when you’re creating content is you’re sharing with the world, ‘Hey here’s what I’m an expert on or here’s how I want you to perceive me.’ And then from there that can turn into relationships or opportunities that can really help you propel your career, propel your business, propel both if you’ve got a side hustle which is something that’s so amazing.” (01:26-02:10)
• “There are so many things that you can do, especially if you’re in-house somewhere…When you are looking to position yourself as a go-to expert, you can do things in a number of ways…there are so many things that can fall under content. I started with what could be considered workshops, but I consider that content as well.” (05:11-06:18)
• “I really encourage people to think about what they want to be seen as the expert in and choose a topic that they can speak about for the next five years. Consistently. Say I’m going to go all in on being an expert on this.” (10:17-10:30)
• “One of the biggest mistakes that I made early on when I shared that nobody was commenting or engaging, I never asked for engagement. I never gave people a reason to engage. But when I started saying things like, ‘If you have a problem, put your problem in the comments below. If you have a question, put it in the comments below. I will answer you.’ Then people were like, ‘Oh wow, well I have questions. Let me get answers.’ And that can start conversations.” (21:38-22:03)
• “When you go into it believing something is hard or that people aren’t going to comment, then that’s what you attract. So, what I like to do is I see everything as a science experiment. If I’m putting content out in the world and nobody’s commenting, liking, engaging, then I sit down and I go okay, well let me see what I did during that piece of content…Did I never ask for a call to action? I like to encourage and train people to get used to commenting before I have a true call to action.” (27:23-28:08)
• “The most important thing is to be consistent…Just be consistent. It takes everybody a different amount of time to start getting real traction and start seeing results from putting content out there. Some of the results may happen without you really knowing it for a while. I encourage you to stay consistent. Whatever you choose to stick with, whether it’s weekly, monthly, be consistent with it.” (31:02-31:32)
• “Tip one: don’t overanalyze it. Tip two: just start. Third: nobody is going to beat you up as much as you are. Go into it with the mindset that if what I’m sharing is of value to someone, then it is worth it.” (36:00-36:47)
Connect with Nikki Nash:
LinkedIn: Nikki Nash
Podcast: Market Your Genius
Book: Market Your Genius
Connect with Michelle Griffin, Personal Brand Strategist/Founder, BRANDthority:
- Website: YourBrandYourBusiness.com
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/michellebgriffin/
Get active on LinkedIn: Join The #365 Creators, my community of 900+ global professionals supporting one another as we create content, connection, and community on LinkedIn. Join us as we ramp up our personal brands, create engaging content, expand our connections, and build meaningful communities on LinkedIn. Join here: The365Creators.com
#personalbranding #personalbrand #personalbrandingcoach #personalbrandconsultant #personalbrandstrategist #linkedin #solopreneur #entpreneur #thoughtleader #corporate