“The mindset is all about being the show. It’s about creating content that allows you to build relationships with your audience at scale on a continual basis,” shares Kap Chatfield, CEO of Rveal Media. In today’s episode, Kap explains the show marketing concept and how to use it to grow your business.
Old school ads no longer capture people’s attention. The best way to grow your audience and build your brand is through show marketing. This style of marketing creates content that people actually want to engage with. It humanizes your brand and helps the audience feel more connected to your product.
Tune into this week’s episode of The Business of You for a conversation with host Michelle Griffin and special guest Kap Chatfield about the show marketing concept and how to use storytelling to connect with your customers.
• “There are two types of content on the internet. There’s the content that you want to consume and then there’s the content that interrupts the content that you want to consume. One is a show and one is an ad…We all know that ads get skipped, they get ignored, they get muted. Sometimes people actually pay for premium versions of apps…to skip ads altogether. The thing about ads is they repel audiences. While an ad repels an audience, a show builds an audience. Really the show marketing mindset that we’re trying to help our customers think through is really this transformation of the buyer’s journey. Not just in B2B products but even in B2C products. What we’re seeing is the buyer’s journey is not as linear as it used to be.” (2:30-3:56)
• “I have so many people come to me that are like, “You don’t need to convince me. I know I need content. I know I need to put myself out there.” But, you know, what I’ve noticed Michelle? A lot of people are hesitant about even beginning the journey because you’re not just putting one piece of content out there and then it’s done.” (8:21-8:40)
• “It’s like you’re committing to an episodic process. Like what you just mentioned, you show up weekly to a handful of different platforms where you have a very specific audience and you have a very specific series of topics that you cover and you’re in a position that’s unique.” (8:40-8:58)
• “I’ll just say that you know who you are, you know why you’re here and, you know the value that you bring. It doesn’t mean that it doesn’t evolve over time, but a lot of people lack that clarity, and not having that clarity is paralyzing for people.” (8:59-9:10)
• “Before you just jump in, you need to have a strategy. Because if you don’t have a strategy, you’re gonna get very emotional through the rollercoaster. Content creation especially as a discipline, more than just something you do when you feel like it, it’s an emotional journey.” (9:34-9:51)
• “The reason why we focus on the video podcast model, specifically video not audio, is because when you do a video podcast, I mean look at how effortless this was for you and me. We had maybe 10 minutes on the pre-show call to talk through how we wanted the direction of this episode to go, but it didn’t take a ton of preparation. It really is as easy as having a conversation.” (25:38-26:09)
• “Now what you’re doing is being strategic and thinking with this evergreen mindset of, “I’m going to go for the big thing first. I’m gonna spend maybe an hour and a half preparing and recording an episode for this show but now from that, I got 4 little micro-videos that I could cut out very simply.” Take a presentation platform like Keynote…take these little clips, create little slides that are like squares…You could clip those into Keynote, export those as little videos and you’re knocking out 4 videos super fast. You don’t even have to be a video editor. It’s as easy as creating a presentation in Powerpoint.” (27:10-28:20)
• “My point is from one video, from one episode, you could have anywhere from 8 to 32 pieces of content which you could use for an entire month. The show marketing mindset isn’t limited to the video podcast format, but I’m really trying to encourage more solopreneurs. If you’re serious about building a brand, there’s no better brand asset than your face. People connect with your face. They don’t connect with your logo, your font style, your colors. People connect with people.” (28:20-28:58)
• “The mindset is all about being the show. It’s about creating content that allows you to build relationships with your audience at scale on a continual basis.” (30:58-31:10)
Connect with Kap Chatfield:
Email | email@example.com
Website | Rveal.Media
LinkedIn | www.linkedin.com/in/kapchateld
Connect with Michelle Griffin, Personal Brand Strategist/Founder, BRANDthority:
• Website: YourBrandYourBusiness.com
• LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/michellebgriffin/
• Get active on LinkedIn: Join The #365 Creators, my community of 900+ global professionals supporting one another as we create content, connection, and community on LinkedIn. Join us as we ramp up our personal brands, create engaging content, expand our connections, and build meaningful communities on LinkedIn. Join here: The365Creators.com
#personalbranding #personalbrand #personalbrandingcoach #personalbrandconsultant #personalbrandstrategist #linkedin #solopreneur #entpreneur #thoughtleader #corporate