“Pick up the phone and just shoot your first video,” says Steve Shillingford, Video and Content Creator from the UK. In today’s episode, Steve shares tips for how to get started with using TikTok to build your personal brand.
TikTok is not just a platform for kids. When used correctly, TikTok can be a valuable tool for anyone wishing to grow their personal brand and market their business. TikTok allows creators to be more expressive of their personalities without the stress of having to be professional and perfect in the way they are on LinkedIn and Instagram. The best way to get started on TikTok is to create short 15 second videos, be consistent about posting daily, be yourself, and engage with other creators.
Tune into this week’s episode of The Business of You for a conversation with host Michelle Griffin and special guest Steve Shillingford about how to start building your brand and showing off your true self on TikTok.
• “It’s best to keep the video short and sweet, so keep it beneath 15 seconds. First, you lead with a decent hook and then you just keep it to one to two sentences but keep it really, really moving along. And then just keep the video short. Once you start doing that, you’ve just gotta show up consistently.” (00:00-00:17)
• “Pick up the phone and just shoot your first video, even if it’s a reaction video, even if it’s a list. Just scroll down with trending music. If you’re nervous, you don’t need to be. Just go on there and get started with the first video.” (6:26-6:44)
• “Probably the best thing to do is get on the platform first of all and just look. Just spend 10 hours on there. Just look and then shoot your video. If you can shoot one video, great. But you’re gonna have to try and keep up with your demand.” (11:49-12:06)
• “Community building is probably stronger than the community on LinkedIn. I’ve found once you’ve hit a niche and you’ve got core followers, people on TikTok are really loyal. They will defend you from the trolls. Once you’ve given that value and they believe in you and that’s why it’s so important to be yourself. Just take the mask off and just be and the community will follow. Engage with the community just like on LinkedIn and success will follow.” (12:25-13:03)
• “Just don’t overthink it. That’s the most important thing. Just don’t overthink it. No one’s there to judge. No one really cares.” (23:30-23:37)
• “Become the change you want to see in the world. Whatever you want to see. You want to see the world in a better way. It starts with you becoming that person. It starts with you becoming better. Make the difference within yourself and then share that with the world.” (34:13-34:34)
Connect with Steve Shillingford:
Linkedin | https://www.linkedin.com/in/steven-shillingford/ Podcast
Connect with Michelle Griffin, Personal Brand Strategist/Founder, BRANDthority:
• Website: YourBrandYourBusiness.com
• LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/michellebgriffin/
• Get active on LinkedIn: Join the #365 Creators, my community of 800+ global professionals supporting one another as we create content, connection, and community on LinkedIn. Join us as we ramp up our personal brands, create engaging content, expand our connections, and build meaningful communities on LinkedIn
You’ll also receive daily tips on LinkedIn, content creation, and personal branding. NOTE: This is NOT an engagement pod. Join here: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13935427/
#personalbranding #personalbrand #personalbrandingcoach #personalbrandconsultant #personalbrandstrategist #linkedin #solopreneur #entpreneur #thoughtleader #corporate